Saturated with brandy, cream, and raspberry purée, dried Italian-style savoiardi get the French treatment here.
Yield 6 servings Active Time 15 min Total Time 50 min
- 7 ounces savoiardi (crisp Italian ladyfingers)
- 1 tablespoon Cognac or other brandy
- 1 pint premium vanilla ice cream, melted
- 10 ounces frozen raspberries (not in syrup)
- 1 cup water
- Rounded 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 3/4 cup chilled heavy cream
- 7- to 8-inch soufflé dish
- Layer ladyfingers in soufflé dish. Stir Cognac into melted ice cream and pour evenly over cookies. Let stand 10 minutes.
- Purée, raspberries with water, sugar, and lemon juice in a blender until smooth.
- Beat cream with an electric mixer or a whisk until it just holds stiff peaks, then add 3/4 cup raspberry sauce and continue to beat until mixture holds soft peaks.
- Lightly press on cookies with a spatula to compact slightly, then drizzle 1/2 cup raspberry sauce over them. Spread raspberry cream evenly on top and chill, covered, in freezer 30 minutes.
- Serve charlotte with remaining raspberry sauce.